All rules are at the final discretion of the race management team. No challenges will be permitted.
1. There will be no unofficial runners. Unofficial runners will be banned from taking part in future Centurion events.
2. Each runners bib number must be worn on the front of the body and must be easily visible at all times.
3. Runners must follow the marked trail/ course at all times.
4. Each runner must complete the entire course under his or her own power.
5. Runners may not store supplies of any kind along the trail.
6. Each runner must be checked IN to all aid stations. DO NOT RUN PAST WITHOUT HAVING YOUR NUMBER TAKEN. You will be disqualified if you are not registered together with your time at every aid station.
7. Cut-off times will be strictly enforced. There are additional cut offs at EVERY aid station. Runners reaching the finish after the final cut off will not be listed as official finishers and will not be eligible for awards.
8. In addition to medical information provided by the runner during the online registration process, runners must fully disclose at race registration, changes to existing medical conditions and all prescription medications being taken.
9. Injection of fluids or drugs during the event will result in disqualification.
10. Runners compete in this event entirely at their own risk including but not limited to road crossings, river crossings, level crossings and all other hazards of the trail. There will be a full waiver to sign at registration. Runners refusing to sign the waiver will not be permitted to start.
11. Littering of any kind will result in immediate disqualification. Runners caught littering will be banned from all future Centurion events. Please respect the natural beauty of our trails and the right of everyone to enjoy them. Littering will threaten our use of the trails and the future of the race.
12. Any runner who is unable to finish the race must personally inform the aid station captain of the nearest checkpoint of his decision to withdraw. HE OR SHE MUST HAND IN HIS RACE NUMBER TO THE AID STATION CAPTAIN AT THAT TIME. This serves as official notice of a runner’s withdrawal from the race. Runners who leave the course without turning in their number will be classified as “lost,” initiating serach and rescue, for which the runner will be charged.
13. Runners are responsible for the actions of their crews and pacers. If your crew or pacer are deemed to have broken any of the runner race rules or separate rules for crew or pacers, the runner will be held accountable. Your crew act on YOUR behalf and based on YOUR instructions.
14. Minimum Entry Age is 21.
15. Pacers are welcome to accompany 100 mile runners at any stage after Chantry Post, the 51 mile crew location BUT not more than one pacer can accompany a runner at any time. Pacers may accompany runners on foot only. See separate rules for pacers in the infopacks.
16. Runners must carry with them AT ALL TIMES the mandatory equipment required.
There will be kit checks prior, during and after the race. Runners must carry the following mandatory equipment at all times. A time penalty of one hour will be imposed for any item found to be missing at any point on course. Please refer to this page for explanations on the inclusion of the below items.
There are many options regards kit for fulfilling these requirements and those of other events. We stock what we believe to be the best options at our online store available by clicking here under the Mandatory Gear Section. Please ask us if you have any questions.
Strongly recommended but not mandatory:
17. There will be mandatory gear checks at the start, on route, or at the finish. Failure to comply with the gear checks will result in disqualification.
18. Runners are not to be accompanied by dogs at any time whilst on course.
19. Any athlete who has been determined to have violated anti-doping rules at any time - through IAAF, the World Anti-Doping Agency, UK Anti Doping or any other National Sports Federation is ineligible for entry into any of our events. We reserve the right to conduct pre and post-competition testing for any and all performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) listed on the current WADA Prohibited List. Any athlete who refuses to submit to anti-doping controls, if selected for testing, shall be disqualified and subject to a lifetime ban from our events.
The South Downs Way is used by many different groups. Please be aware of other people whilst you are running and be as polite and courteous as possible to them, making way when necessary. All gates must be properly closed after you have gone through. If you need to drop out of the race, it is your responsibility to get back to where you need to get to. If you have to drop please do so where possible at an aid station. Please either inform the aid station captain or call the Race HQ on the number provided at check in as soon as you decide to withdraw from the race. Please inform the aid station captain on arrival that you intend to drop and whether you need assistance. The Aid Station Captains will inform you if it is possible to get transport to the finish with the course sweeper bus. It may be that you have to wait some considerable time so please be patient with the volunteers. If it is imperative that you get away immediately you will be given other options involving local transport services.
RULE VIOLATION PROCEDURE
Any protests to a ruling or of a runner to runner violation must be submitted by a registered entrant and must be lodged using the following procedure:
1. Report the alleged violation to the runner, his/her crew or pacer as the incident occurs. Enlist a fellow witness to the alleged violation if possible.
2. Report the alleged violation with the runner’s name and number to the next available aid station staff.
3. Report the alleged violation in writing at the finish line to the race director. All protests must be submitted by 6pm on Monday following the race. Written protest must include the name of the person who lodged the complaint.
4. Decision on all violations and rules is at the final discretion of the Race Management ONLY. There will be no challenges after that decision.