23 Nov 10 by James Elson

Rocky Raccoon 100

Had a few good work outs already this week, I feel like slowly there is some form coming back. I have the Gatliff 50km this weekend and Luton Marathon the following so an opportunity to get a couple of longer work outs in. Gatliff will be very slow as an LDWA style event with no marked course and probably some snow on the ground. Luton I will take as it comes. Attempting 2 back to back 100 mile weeks so a good base before some more specific training for Rocky Raccoon 100. I just entered this again for 5th Feb 2011 and I'm pretty excited about finally getting it right at the 100 mile distance. This will be number 4 and I hope I can finally execute the last 40 miles like I've run the first 60 in each of the 3 preceeding this.

11 Oct 10 by James Elson

Caesars Camp 100 2010

It's the morning after and I'm feeling pretty great about the race. I didn't achieve anywhere near what I'd hoped to time/ position wise, my body was in ruin for almost half of it and there was a time around mile 80 when I genuinely thought it could be over. Partly through experience of suffering (already once horrendously this year at Badwater) and partly because of a refusal to quit I managed to get the job done. However much it hurt and however long it took really doesn't matter the minute you cross the finish line in a 100 miler. There are some elite runners who would rather drop out than post a poor time involving hours of walking and needless suffering. Their rationale is that there is another race that they would rather save themselves for, rather than grind their body down to breaking point and take months to recover. Luckily for me I'm not that fast that that's likely ever to be a problem. I think my conversation with the aid station official at mile 80 pretty much summed it up:

Him: How you feeling
Me: Absolutely battered, my undercarriage is blistered and bleeding everywhere.
Him: Have you got another race any time soon
Me: Nope
Him: Well then you may as well trash your body to finish, running 100 miles is not supposed to be easy you know.

Good point.

The Race:

The race is 10 laps of 10 miles, with an aid station at roughly the 5 mile point, which means you never really have to go for too long without encountering people serving food and drink. You also go back past your car every couple of hours so you can bring as much crap as you want and have access to it all the way through. A lot of people had already pitched tents next to their car when I arrived. On the down side it also means that after a couple of laps everything looks the same. Again and again and again and that pretty much sucks. There were around 60 x 100 milers (10 laps) and 30 x 50 milers (5 laps) all starting together at noon on Saturday. Its also very tempting for some to just get in the car and drive away when the race inevitably becomes a miserable death march.

The Course:

From the start, the course goes immediately uphill for a half a mile and then drops down a very sharp descent and back up a 25% rocky incline. That pattern continues for the first 2.5 miles of each lap. A short section of flat/ uphill and then a sudden drop and climb back up all on rocky ground which at night is difficult and requires a lot of concentration. No climb ever last more than a couple of minutes but each one is an all out effort with pretty poor footing. Once over that section you hit a mile of rolling track running alongside the road which is quite runnable before a mile of gradual uphill which at first tempts you in to running and then spits you out half way up if you do so, out of breath. The sharp inclines/ descents continue to the 4 mile point where finally you hit a nice mile long section of flat path before you reach the woodland at 5 miles. 
Once into the woods you get some truly awesome trails to run on. Lots of soft downhill, not that technical and quite fast. This section is almost identical to the type of running you get at Rocky Raccoon 100 in Texas. There is a good climb up from those downhill trails and then some much more technical single track trail before you come back out of the woods and into the open again for 2 miles and one last good long climb and descent in to base camp. As a 10 mile run its challenging, nearly all runnable and enjoyable, especially miles 4 to 8. As a 50 or 100 mile run it is nasty with a cumulative gain of 15500ft total/ 1550ft per lap (descending the same) which after a few hours of darkness starts to wear you down.

 (This is the only photo I managed in 27 hours)

0 - 10 miles:
Everyone began together, a few of the 50 mile guys bolted off of the front and disappeared out of sight pretty quickly. I walked all the ups from the start, lots of people running past me and pushed on the downs passing people back again. I was economical from the outset and ate gels every 45 minutes to keep energy levels up. Straight forward lap 1:49

10 - 20 miles:
Repeat, absolutely no soreness to this point just easy going enjoying the day. 3 hours 47

20 - 30 miles:
I find I normally hit the first mental low just after the marathon mark but didn't get it at all and cruised round in another decent paced effort. 5 hours 58

30 - 40 miles:
Grabbed my headtorch at the start of the lap and within an hour it was pitch dark. Headtorches create a tunnel effect which can be quite off putting but I like running in the dark so where I could I switched it off. 7 hours 59.

40 - 50 miles:
Still feeling good and full of energy, still pacing well and because of the lap format, knew exactly where to push harder to make up time for the slow uphill sections. 10 hours 2. Aiming for 2 hours per lap at the start i was almost bang on.

50 - 60 miles:
Things started to unravel at this point. I had to here been fairly consistent but I found I needed more food just before the start of this lap which boosted me, but I then crashed big time about 3 miles in to the lap. The gels weren't enough on their own at this point. 12 hours 30

60 - 70 miles:
Picked up Webbo my pacer at 60 mile point. Absolutely awesome to have him running with me. Did a great job of going just ahead of me on the majority of the course, always on the downs and dragging me along. Mentally I'd been low for about 7 or 8 miles before he showed up. I moaned a lot but my legs and feet were fine. My energy levels were low I felt pretty nauseous like I needed to be sick and my unercarriage was starting to disintegrate and blister again. 15 hours 35

70 - 80 miles:
Long stop at 70 mile point of around 15 minutes, while I ate and changed to try and stop the chaffing. Slightly quicker lap then once we did get moving but not greatly so. Light just starting to break through by the time we got back around to the car. The previous few miles the pain downstairs had reached badwater- esque levels and I voiced out loud to Webbo how pointless it seemed to be dragging my ass around a 10 mile loop another 3 times just for the sake of it when I was in that much pain. Again. I couldn't believe I was having to put up with that shit for a second time in less than 3 months. About 20 small blisters all over the insides of the groin, nutsack and perineum. 19 hours

80 miles:
Webbo left to go and watch his sons first rugby tournament. I scanned in and went across to the car and sat in the passenger seat with the fans on full and pointed down towards my crotch. I passed out for about 80 minutes and then woke up with a shock (I hadn't intended to go to sleep) and pretty much shit myself that Id slept through the day and missed the cut off. I spent the next 30 minutes bandaging my appendage and did a pretty good job. I guess Im experienced at it now. I had to physically shout at myself in the car to make my mind tell my body to get out and keep going. Then pulled on my tracksuit bottoms and a jumper, pinned my number on the trousers, put 2 mars bars in my pocket and walked back through the aid station and out on to the course. I looked like a chav but I was still moving albeit walking like John Wayne. 21 hours 20

80 - 90 miles:
The first 3 miles were just miserable, hobbling along again, infuriated that Id turned potentially a great performace into a slog for the finish again. Once I was through the sharp up and down sections my walking speed increased and with the sun shining for the first time in 15 hours for me, my energy levels were better. 24 hours 25

90 - 100 miles:
More hobbling, more misery, tried to enjoy the trails and the woods and actually did manage a smile at one or two points but otherwise just wishing for the end to come. Passed a girl still running the 100 a few miles from the end and found she still had another lap to go. With the cut off at 30 hours and going very very slowly at around 27 hours/ 87 miles at that point it was obvious she wasn't going to make it. I didn't say so just encouraged her to keep going but DNF'ing this at mile 90 wasn't really fair on her. Caught a guy a couple of miles from the finish staggering around like a drunk going about half a mile an hour, when I got to him his eyes were closed, he was just walking around falling asleep on his feet. Stayed with him to the finish line, my good deed for the day. 27 hours 11 minutes. PW at 100 miles.

When we got to the finish, everything was gone. It was kind of like old dominion when there was just one guy and a clip board at the finish. It seems anti climactic but the last thing I'd want to see is 1000 people cheering you as you cross the line. Henk the RD and a couple of people had broken camp, 95% of the cars had gone, most people at home resting, eating, recounting tales of the previous day and their finish, or not as the case may be. After dishing abuse at the start, to people who dropped out all the way through, to runners coming in to the aid station all day, Henk finally said some nice words. He pointed out that this is a hard race and that roughly 70% of runners drop out of the 100 each year. This year was no different he reckoned only 30% finished again but 'll wait for the stats later in the week.

Why this race is hard (apart from the fact that it is 100 miles)?

Most of the really difficult part of the race is done in total darkness, for me miles 35 to 80.
A lot of runnable trail but lots of unrunnable (after about 30 miles) technical steep up and down.
30 hour cut off. 10 miles doesn't seem a long way at 3.3mph but repeat 10 times and you have to rely on running a good amount of this race to finish in time once you take into account the pit stops.

Its unlikely I'll be going back to do this one again but it is very well organised and executed. Don't expect any love or praise from Henk he'll just abuse you and ask you why you're bothering to stay out there running laps for 100 miles in the dark when you don't even get a medal at the end. If you need to wonder why then there's no point coming down for this one. I wouldn't advise this as a first 100, with the finishing rate as low as it is its clear that most people, experienced or otherwise end up succumbing to the tempatation of a warm vehicle/ tent and never leaving. It nearly happened to me too.....

Next year I will finally run a 100 mile race where i don't totally fall apart in the final third and convert a good start into a good overall race. For now I'll be resting for a while. It's been a long year in more ways than one.

18 Aug 10 by James Elson

Badwater Video

Here it is. Thanks Rich for the filming, direction and inclusion of the greatest song of 2010. Clearly you are in the wrong job....

(If this doesn't work for you just type James Elson 2010 Badwater into Youtube)


24 Jul 10 by James Elson

Badwater 2010: Part Two

Furnace Creek was the first time station on the course and marked the 17 mile point. I ran into the Resort and straight through into the bar where I promptly had my first 'sit down' of the day. I didn't rush, there was no point after all with 118 miles left, so I took my time and jogged out back past the officials and onto the course rejoining about 5 minutes later. From this point on runners are allowed their second crew vehicle if they need it, to ferry supplies/ people too and from the main vehicle but more importantly for me, they allow pacers from this point. 'Pacer' is a bit of a fraudulent term here, you can basically have anybody you like run directly behind of you for the entire rest of the race. That person is there for moral encouragement, to provide you with things you can't carry or just generally be there to push you back to the left slightly if you become delirious and stray out onto the road.

I saw Charlie here with the 2nd car bringing more ice back to the main vehicle, I guessed because they had dumped so much over me in the first 3 hours. I ran the first mile (17 - 18) solo and at that point Frank came across and ran with me. I hadn't realised until after the event but plenty of people have commented on how hot it was that day, even by normal Death Valley standards and the thermometer at Furnace Creek maxed out at 134 degrees F or 54 centrigrade during the afternoon.

Thermometer at Furnace Creek on race day. c/o Tony Portera!
Having Frank there was a big help. The road grinds on and on through the desert at this point and can stretch away for miles ahead of you making it a tough psychological battle so early, with the heat biting at your heals. The temperature off of the road was horrific just felt like you were being cooked from every angle and I mentioned to Frank I was getting a sore throat from the dry heat. For all of this though it was still so great to be there and the scenery of Death Valley was stunning. Frank stayed with me for 5 miles then dropped back to the vehicle to cool down and refresh his water supply etc and then rejoined me a mile later. 

Without really knowing it, this stretch pretty much wrecked the entire of the rest of the race for me. Two things were key, that I had gone slightly too fast and had used up an awful lot of energy and that the boys were still dumping whole gallons of water over my head every mile. This was inadvertently leading to massive chaffing under my arms and around my groin and nuts which would really come good later on. I dropped off from 10 minute miles to 11 minute miles and then down to 12 through the next 25 miles to Stovepipe Wells. As the afternoon wore on Frank and I started to walk all of the ups and jog the flats and downs which is pretty standard ultra practice but made even more sense in this heat, which causes your heart rate to increase massively even just remaining stationary. Frank felt the heat too so the last 5 miles or so down the hill to a right bend in the road and then the flat straight part past the sand dunes to Stovepipe Wells, I went alone. At this point the field had spread out greatly. I had reached and passed Jack Denness from the 6am wave and stopped to give him a hand shake and a big slap on the back for encouragement as he sat under a parasol by the side of the road, fanned by two of his crew. The legend that he is rather than say something about the heat or how crap he was feeling he just said 'check this out for service!' The sun was just starting to drop in the sky as I came in to Stovepipe in 8 hours and 25 minutes, 5 minutes ahead of my 30 hour schedule.

I felt awful and I'd gone too fast even though comparative to any other race Id ever done I'd gone very very slowly. I sat on the side of the car for a minute and felt a little dizzy and sick. The boys passed me a turkey cheese bagel but it was like trying to swallow bits of car tire, my throat was dry and the bagel did nothing to help that. I also cut the lining out of my shorts because there was some pretty bad pain coming from chaffing with the water and stitching in the shorts. Marshall Ulrichs wife Heather came over at this point with the race photographer. She mentioned that Marshall who'd started in the 6am wave had had an hours sleep here, that his foot was still painful but that he was ok and had gone on up the road to Townes Pass. Frank told me to take a quick nap in the car so I got in the air con, told him to let me sleep for 5 minutes and promptly dropped off in about 8 seconds. He shook me awake again and I felt a little bit better so stepped out of the car and started to walk up the road out of the time station.



(Frank looking a bit concerned)


The next 16 mile section is the first major climb of the race, 5500 feet up from Stovepipe at Sea Level to the summit of Townes Pass. This is a blessing and a curse. On the one hand you are climbing out of Death Valley and the hottest part of the race for good, on the other you are climbing up a monster hill, the sun is still out and worse there is an enormous hot wind coming straight down the road into your face. The first few miles I had Eberhard with me as a pacer for the first time. Eberhard has run Badwater 6 times including running the double one year (he ran from the finish line to the start before commencing the race and returning to Mt Whitney in a total time of 104 hours). Need less to say he was a good man to have on the crew. He explained that the hairdryer coming down the hill was normal and that I really had cracked the hardest part of the race and should be pleased with myself for my performance so far. As we climbed onto the steeper section of road we started to pass a lot of the 6am and 8am runners. As Frank took over the pacing duties, the higher we climbed, the steeper it got and the harder the wind blew. It felt exactly the same as if someone took out a hairdryer and positioned it 6 inches in front of your face and turned it on. People were starting to break down here. All down the right hand side of the road were runners crew vehicles but rather than moving, most had their respective runners and pacers sat out of the relentless wind behind the car, some laid out on the road getting some sleep. I went past Mark Wooley a fellow Brit living in Southern Spain whom I had met at the registration and he seemed in good spirits taking a well earned break off of the road. 
As we climbed we passed each 1000ft elevation marker and the sun finally dipped below the mountains giving us respite from the heat for the first time. We carried on up the road with our reflective gear and lights on, reaching Marshall as we got towards the top of the climb. He seemed to be dragging his right foot along but was ok as we walked with him for a couple of minutes. Towards the summit of the hill the climb tailed off a little but it seemed to take forever to reach the top. When we did, Eberhard and Charlie were pulled over on the side of the road waiting for us as Charlie and Richard had gone on to Panamint Springs to get an hours sleep before coming back to us. Frank hopped back in the car here and I grabbed a turkey wrap and coke which worked way better than earlier on. Charlie joined me at this point for the 12 mile section of downhill running in to Panamint Springs at mile 72.3. This was my favourite part of the whole race. Eberhard had made sure I knew that this section was runnable so to keep enough in the tank to have some 'power' coming down into Panamint. Well I didn't have a lot of power but after half a mile of walking and eating, Charlie and I kicked up a reasonable jog and stayed solid most of the way down the hill. Each stop I was alternating between coke, mountain dew and non alcoholic lager, a weird combo but one which worked well as my taste buds rejected any more sweet stuff and then craved it again in almost minute by minute cycles. The pattern was set for this stage, we would collect a drink from Frank and Eberhard, walk a few hundred metres and then run the next 1300m to the car again. In this way we made reasonable time, I was just slightly off of pace for the 30 hour mark but not drastically. Marshall came back past us at this point and we followed his red LED all the way down the hill to the last 3 miles into Panamint where you're back on the flat/ slight uphill. Turning around we could now see a trail off into the far distance of runner lights coming over the mountain and down the hill behind us, it was a stunning sight. We got into Panamint in 17 hours 50 minutes, just before 4am. The guys were filling up with petrol when we go there and I sat in a chair for 2 minutes whilst they did a hand over, Rich and Graham coming back out to swap with Eberhard. 
It was pitch dark now but I could see a lot of runners asleep at the time station in chairs or 'cots' collapsable beds. This was a pretty good tactic at this point but I hate stopping in races, ive never done it and I felt it was better just to keep moving. Out of Panamint we faced the second major 18 mile climb back up to around 5000ft. It was more of a gradual ascent but it was still pointless trying to run any of it. The boys took it in turns at this point as we went higher and higher up the road. Graham and Richard both took on pacing duties as the sun came up behind us illuminating Panamint valley and the road we had come down on from Towne's Pass. I wanted to try and get the climb done before the sun came back out so that I could just concentrate on jogging slowly the 50km section from mile 90 to 122 at Lone Pine although in the heat, the downhill would prevent my heart rate from climbing too high.

By the time we reached 80 miles however the sun was out. The camber on the road was driving me crazy, the road sloped badly off in one direction or the other as we went up the switchbacks and putting pressure on parts of my feet that were already blistered. I hadn't really noticed my feet until this point because the road was straight and even which meant i was pounding the same parts of them and they were therefore just numb. Now I was changing my gait to allow for the camber it started to feel like I had raw nerve endings exposed on the soles of my feet. Frank stepped back in as we got the flatter part of the climb and paced me all the way to Darwin at Mile 90.

Severe Bad Language Warning


Before we got there we had time to run within a foot of a coiled up rattle snake just sat on the side of the road. It was a rare section of running for me as I came past it and I could hear Frank shouting at me over the sound of my ipod and I turned around to see him pointing and shouting snake. We'd passed it and thank god it hadn't gone for us I couldn't imagine having to DNF for a snake bite.

The boys put some signs up around the snake and we continued on the flatter straight road to Darwin. We were running intermittently now and not a lot of it, my balls and undercarriage were really starting to chaff and I was noticing how Id had to start walking with my hands on my hips to stop the skin from under my arms rubbing the raw wounds I had underneath them. We got to Darwin, mile 90.1 in 23 hours 35 minutes, just before the start of my second day of running.

From this point on I am going to recount what I remember of the 'race' but there is unquestionably large chunks I can't really remember or worse that I have imagined. I have discussed various things with the boys in the crew in the aftermath and there are quite a few things that I have no recollection of.

I'd broken the race down into chunks the whole way along so that I was able to cope better mentally with the idea of running 135 miles. So far we'd covered:

0 - 17: Badwater to Furnace Creek
17 - 42: Furnace Creek to Stovepipe Wells
42 to 60: Stovepipe to Townes Pass (Climb 1)
60 to 72: Townes Pass to Panamint Valley
72 to 90: Panamint to Darwin (Climb 2)

Now we were entering the last 3 Stages and with 'only' 45 miles left I was in good spirits so still to come were:

90 - 100: Darwin to the 100 mile marker
100 - 122: 100 Miles to Lone Pine
122 - 135: Lone Pine to Whitney Portals (Climb 3)

I fully intended and had pre-warned Frank that I wanted to run the 50km section from 90 - 122 so in the car at Darwin I got out a serious amount of vaseline again and applied it everywhere to abate the chaffing. I changed my shorts which were rock hard with salt, for Franks longer fresh pair. I would love to have changed my shoes or even taken the off for a minute but I knew if I did I would never get them back on and the bigger pair id bought before the race were in my lost luggage. So at this point I just had to grit my teeth and deal with the reality that I wasn't going to be able to look at them or handle any of the blisters until the end of the race, maybe another 16 - 20 hours away. I ate another turkey cheese wrap and had a coke and off we went. I felt awful but I knew I really had put myself in with a chance of finishing in a half decent time.

(Spread legs. No need for a close up of what is going on underneath)

We jogged away form the car and made it around half a mile, a nice gradual downhill before I had to slow to a walk to readjust my shorts and stop them tearing into my balls. We carried on jogging and came to a walk again for me to repeat. This happened for the rest of the race. Every 300 yards I had to stop to readjust the shorts into a position where I could actually continue moving forward. Without putting the reader off from the rest of this report, basically the skin had blistered on the inside of my thighs, then on my perenium and up my butt crack, but worst of all on the actual nuts themselves. Whilst the blisters were actually bearable, what was now causing a sharp massive burst of pain every couple of minutes was that the blisters had burst. I had a lot of bleeding weeping skin rubbing on another patch of bleeding and weeping skin. The vaseline was totally ineffective at this point now matter how much I applied.

I spent some time trying to explain to Frank just how bad the pain was without worrying him into thinking that we were going to be out for another 24 hours because I was going to have to stop all the time. We just kept jogging and walking and then walking even more to the point where we were only jogging the proper downhill sections. The sun was back out in force now and was climbing in the sky as it got to midday. I reached the 100 mile point in 26 hours and 5 minutes which was still respectable but we had big problems now. It was back up to around 40 degrees and there was just one big straight road leading away into the distance for roughly another marathon before we got in to Lone Pine. There was no respite, no shade, just a hot wind and a long painful slog. Frank took me to 100.5 miles where Eberhard was waving an enormous Union Jack along the side of the road. The boys had been incredible thus far but when they saw the kind of pain I was in now they just turned in an epic performance to carry me through. Eberhard took over from Frank for a few miles, who still hadn't been to sleep and coached me through how this section would work. We would go around 17 miles to a small mining village called Keeler, then we would turn left across the salt flats and have a 5 mile section down into Lone Pine.

I didn't see anyone on this section. Frank Mckinney and David Ploskonka had come past me as I slowed to walk between 90 and 100 but once through 100 miles it was just me and the boys. Eventually I stopped running and resorted to walking as quickly as I could which was around 18 minute miles. When thats your max pace you know its going to be a long day. The heat crept up, Eberhard stayed with me and every 300 - 500 yards I would stop still and make adjustments to be able to carry on. The pain was undoubtedly the worst Ive ever had, probably because it was sustained over so many hours. It got worse and worse and worse to the point where when the boys would stop alongside me, now every half mile instead of a mile, I would readjust downstairs and my hand would come up with a good amount of blood on it.

Without re-iterating the already unnecessary details Ive just given, basically the 50km stretch that I was hoping to cover in around 7 hours, took me over 11. In the end I fashioned a bandage for my damaged areas out of an arm sleeve which I taped in place around my leg. The problem with this was that I obviously needed to keep going to the toilet so I had to keep removing and retaping it. In the end I binned the tape and would just reposition it again every few minutes. I wasted literally hours having to go through this process. In hindsight its easy for me to say 'well I should have just gone on with it and wasted less time' but I can tell you its sending shivers down my spine just recounting this bit and I know that if I hadn't done what I'd done I may well have been stopped almost dead in my tracks. A few other things went wrong at this time also, the heat was up and Id not been as diligent with my drinking and eating because my mind was focused on just blocking out the pain. I started to dehydrate a bit and then felt like I was headed into the path of heatstroke so took  a few minutes in the car at one point again to sit in the air con and cool down. Any longer and my legs would have turned into lead. I also had some stomach problems and at one point wasn't able to make it to the crew vehicle even before I had to dive into the desert for a pit stop. That meant one of the boys (Frank) had to come back a few hundred yards with some loo roll so I could carry on.

The boys kept amazing spirits up all the way through this patch and I just bowed my head and kept putting one foot in front of the other. I think they all took turns in walking with me for stretches but I can't really be sure. To me now it seems that Eberhard was with me almost all the way down to Lone Pine with Charlie for a bit and Richard doing some miles, with Graham taking me the last few in to the town but its all a bit hazy.

Anyway enough wallowing. When we could finally see Lone Pine in the distance, we could also see Mount Whitney and the surrounding mountains looming massive and distant in the background. The car kept stopping every half a mile all of the way into Lone Pine as we rounded Keeler and dropped down and over a river before a short climb up and flat section into the town itself. When we hit the road junction Graham and I turned right and the car was there with a load of Mcdonalds for us. Id ordered some chicken nuggets and finished them in about thirty seconds flat. I wandered off down the road on my own now knowing full well that the left turn into the last stage up the mountain was less than a mile ahead. Again I stopped to readjust everything in front of a hotel and the boys formed a kind of screen in front of me so as not to scare the rest of the general population, I remember that much.


When we got to the turn there was a time station and it snapped my back into reality. Frank set himself up with reflective vests and handed me the same along with 4 ibuprofen to try and help with the pain, at this time it was just after 8pm and we'd been going for a little over 34 hours straight and 122 miles of running/ walking. We turned past the time station and left at the traffic lights. The Portal Road was very different from the way I'd imagined it. I had expected a thin single lane road with over hanging trees and more of a mountainous feel. The reality, and i've no doubt this was my mind playing tricks on my as a result of fatigue, was that I felt like I was entering a theme park. The dark quickly came down and Eberhard, Frank and I began just to pace up the hill one step at a time. At first we moved quite slowly and in the twilight it seemed to me that the trees overhanging the boulder lined road were reaching out like giant inflatable animals towards us. The boys carried on beside us in the crew vehicle stopping every half mile for the duration of the climb. After a couple of miles I decided the best thing to do would be to let Frank take the lead and sit in behind him. I spent the time from 9:20pm to 11:30pm just staring at the reflective strips on the back of Franks trainers lit up by my headlamp and it ate up the time. I would guess we were travelling about 3.5 miles per hour in that section and it suprised him and Eberhard but me also as to how much better I fared on this stretch. No doubt the end being within reach was a big factor.

We still hadn't seen any other runners in a long long time but it felt like we'd made good progress and would likely have made a bit of time back. At about mile 129 though I had to slow again. The pain from my undercarriage was back and my legs were starting to tire on the climb. Frank pushed on as fast as he could without losing me but I was taking a long time to push up the 2 miles to the 131 mile time station, the last one of the race. In the end we hit that in 37:30. The whole way along I had moved the finish time goalposts in my head as things began to unravel. 30 hours became 34, became 36, became 38 and it was here I realised I would just like to finish this thing and if sub 40 was possible then great. 48 hours is the cut off for the buckle and 60 for the entire race so clearly by this stage these were in the bag barring a total physical collapse.

We walked that last 4 miles at about 2 miles per hour pace. The whole portal road is uphill, ascending from 4000ft to almost 8500ft and the last steepest kick spans from mile 131 to mile 133.5. At this point, Marshall, who had rested at Panamint after passing us on the way down from Townes Pass came back up to us. He walked between Frank and I and grabbed my arm as if to say good job almost there. He asked Frank if this was the last switchback and Frank kind of laughed and said 'you should know buddy', Marshall being on the path to his 16th official Badwater finish. We rounded that switch back, walked up to mile 134 where I could finally see the road enter the trees which I knew we would have to do before we hit the end. The boys left us here and drove up to the finish so that they would be ready. Frank, Charlie and I pushed on and it seemed to take forever. There was no sign of life or any directional help at all. Just utter darkness with overhanging rock formations and trees, no lights, no people, no sign of the finish line. In the end we made educated guesses as to the route and rounded a corner to see the boys up ahead. Eberhard gauged there was about 1km to go and we walked as a group up that last 10 minutes into sight of the finish line. They let me go at that point and I ran the last 15 yards over the finish, with James Adams cheering us on from just beside it where he'd been since finishing 2 hours before us. Finishing time 39 hours 19 minutes 2 seconds, 38th place. 80 Starters.

I felt ok on the line. There was no massive release of emotion, just a general pleased to be done kind of aura. We all hugged each other and I thanked the boys each in turn for a massive performance and their help. Chris Kostman then took some shots at the line, solo, with the whole crew and with just Frank bearing in mind this was the first leg of 2 with the bike ride coming up towards the end of the year. Someone fetched the car at that point and we cruised on down to the hotel at the bottom of the mountain. I kept drifting in and out of sleep on the way down that drive and it was very painfully that I managed to get into the shower and then onto the bed for a few hours kip before the drive back to Vegas.

I've been in a pretty bad way since the end of the race. We had almost 2 full days in Vegas and for 24 hours or so all I could do was lie in the bed and eat a small amount occasionally.

My calves, feet, undercarriage, underarms and stomach were all in bad shape.


I made it out to dinner in the Venetian restaurant Tao on the Thursday night but with a 6am flight the following morning hit the sack about 10pm. The 36 hour journey home about finished me and I've come out of the other side of this week still feeling a little shaky but well on the road to recovery. My feet and energy levels are the last things to come back.

I would recommend this race to anybody, anywhere. It is probably the hardest thing you'll ever do but it is a monumental run and in my opinion worth everything you have to give to get to the finish. Its easily my single greatest accomplishment in a short 28 years. The barriers to success start with the entry criteria, they will not accept any applications from people who haven't run at least 2 x 100 mile non-stop races. The 90 places are highly covered and I was extremely fortunate to get a place with only 40 rookie slots each year. The fact that so many of the runners go back to race time and time again is a pretty good indication of just how special Badwater is.

Perhaps the most special accomplishment ever on the Badwater course took place this year. Jack Denness finished the race for the 12th time in a total of just over 59 hours. The time seems slow but Jack recently turned 75 years old. Ive said it elsewhere already that I think this may be perhaps the greatest sporting achievement Ive ever witnessed. All in all there were 5 British finishers this year with James Adams, Mark Wooley and Tim Welch all making the finish as well. A good performance from the UK!

Would I run it again? You can never say never but I think for next time Id like to crew someone else and get to see the event from the other side of the fence. From everything the boys came out of it with, you get a similar experience without the handfuls of punishment.

Next up its UTMB and FC508. Thats it for me in 2010, its already been the best year of running and racing I've ever had and could have hoped for despite being over 9 hours outside of my goal time at Badwater. In the end it was just about finishing and that is no bad thing. Id take just the same result at the next two all day long.

21 Jul 10 by James Elson

Badwater 2010: Part One


Frank and I between Panamint and Darwin around mile 88. Photo c/o Luis Escobar.

'Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us' Hebrews 12:1. Quoted on the eventual race winners hat at the start. 

This is long so I’m sorry but this was the longest, hardest, most painful and most rewarding journey I've been on yet and there is a LOT to say. This is a bit of a cleansing process for me psychologically, a week on and the race is still extremely fresh in my mind. My feet have bottomed out now, the nails are gone, the heels have come apart but they're healing. Apart from about 3 kgs which I am still missing I am 80% recovered physically but I still need to get my head around the whole thing. Basically for 3/4 of the race I went pretty good but the last 1/4 I spent skidding out of control all over the road only narrowly avoiding smashing into the reservation and having to book a return journey to start all over again. I have an awesome and dedicated crew to thank for that but I guess also a pretty high tolerance for pain and some experience with what endurance really is. Ive faced most things before in a race but the problems i'll come to at the end were something i NEVER want to go through again.

Here is Part One of the report. Part Two will contain the gory details of how my feet, underarms and 'undercarriage' fell apart….
A lot of races claim to be 'the toughest in the world'. Plenty of people have written articles set on answering that question from a non-biased perspective and almost universally, the consensus is that its Badwater. The raw facts are often quoted as the rationale:
Distance: It is 135 miles non stop.
Environment: The first 42 miles of the race take place in Death Valley, the second hottest place on the planet with a peak record temperature of 56.7 degrees and an average July temp of 50. The race is specifically organised to start during the hottest part of the day, on the hottest day of the year.  The remainder of the race is run in the Mojave Desert and second day temperatures, when runners have already been going for 24 hours, rarely drop below 40.
Elevation: The racecourse covers three mountain passes each between 4000 and 5500 ft with a total of 14000 feet of cumulative gain.
The End: At 122 miles, runners enter the town of Lone Pine and are greeted with probably the hardest finish of any race anywhere, 13 miles of steep ascent to Mount Whitney Portals, the gateway to the highest point in the contigious US.
Badwater is the hardest thing Ive ever done. That’s an easy thing to say. I have until now maintained that the MdS would always be the hardest thing I’d ever do because it was a week of utter suffering. Jim and I were rookies back then and you could really really tell (http://runthroughtime.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2006-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2007-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=1). During that race I was often unsure of how we could continue. Of course we did and I realise when I look back now that I had no idea then what real suffering was. My legs hurt and I couldn’t hold food down. These are problems which can be solved in an hour with some ibuprofen and some cool off time in a tent. Believe me Im not trying to say that the MdS is easy, unil this month it was the hardest thing Id ever taken on. The level of suffering I reached in Badwater on the other hand made the MdS look like a cake walk. Even Frank who crewed the entire event and watched pretty much every step I took stopped with the gentle abuse and cajoling, usually a very common method of getting each other through stuff like this when he saw my bowed drunken stagger down the last 50km stretch of flat. He said in an e mail to me afterwards that he thought Id gone through about 10 times the pain anyone should have too and it did honestly feel like that. It was still unquestionably worth it.

I didn’t realise until being at the event itself and particularly in the few days afterwards quite how much the race means to 1. The organisers, volunteers and past runners of the race and 2. The running community looking on. The outpouring of e mails and the number of people who have followed the race online across the world, throughout, has been massive and I guess based on the above, the running community in general really does view the race as something uniquely special. Past runners always reflect on how Badwater is like a family. Once you run it or crew it you become part of that family and you build an affiliation and affetion for the event. Cynically I found this a little hard to believe but having run down that massive never ending stretch of tarmac I see what they mean. Badwater is different and for me the reason for that is simply how hard it is. 
The race start and Badwater itself is the name of a geographical point in Death Valley which stands as the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere at 282 feet below sea level. The nearest major city is Las Vegas so we flew in on the Friday night. We took a long route in order to save costs and went via Rome and New York. Each one of the 3 flights were delayed and in the end we were lucky to get there by 1am Saturday morning, we made our connection at JFK by minutes. The useless incompetent lazy airline Alitalia also lost all of our baggage and wouldn’t see it again until after the race. Its hard to describe how much of a problem that is. 

I had been planning Badwater since February the 17th when I was formally accepted into the race. That is planning in terms of 1. training, 2. acclimatisation to heat and 3. kit. One of those, albeit the least crucial arm of the three was instantly removed. I lost all of my energy powder responsible for about 200 Kcals an hour which I couldn’t replace (It is a European Product) and the last thing you are advised to do in a major race is change to something new right before in case you react badly or get nauseous and cannot keep anything down. I lost all of my Enduralytes  These are salt replacement tablets that are essential to take if you’re running prolonged periods in the heat. If you don’t take them and drink only water you become hyponatraemic and can drop into a fast and dangerous coma. Throughout Badwater Eberhard my German crew and 6 time finisher usually takes about 3 every 20 minutes. Thankfully I managed to get hold of Frank before he left home and he bought with him enough to just see us through the race. Of course I also lost my spare trainers, running gear, food for the race, headlamps, reflective vests, sprayers etc etc all things that we had to then buy back in Walmart on the way to the race. This was stressful and time consuming and of course what we bought as replacements didn’t match the quality of the stuff id packed. Thankfully I had worn a pair of running shoes on the plane out in case the worst happened.
Picking up the hire cars, a dodge caravan as the main vehicle and a small dodge charge and buying the supplies in Walmart plus a small detour meant we didn’t reach Death Valley until 6pm on the Saturday night, around 6 hours after we’d planned. However the crew were together and we were in good spirits. My team consisted of Richard, Charlie and Graham whom had come out from the UK and Frank (DC) and Eberhard (Germany) both previous finishers and good friends from other races.  I literally would have been lost without any one of them. I was followed and looked after better than I could have ever imagined but i'll come to that in more detail later.
When we got into Death Valley we pulled onto the stretch of the race road from mile 32 to 42 at Stovepipe Wells. Frank pulled the car over and we stepped on to the side of the road to take in the conditions. The sun was down but there was a wind blowing across the sand dunes and into our faces and evening at this time in the early evening the temperature was 119 degrees. Immediately noticeable also was the smell of sauna. The intense baking of the rocks across the landscape and its enclosed nature, ringed by mountains, made it feel and smell exactly like the wooden box Id spent so long sitting it at the gym in 'training' for this insane race. 
We drove up to Stovepipe Wells for the night, the mile 42 time station of the race and stayed there in decent accommodation. There were a few other racers and crews around and it was just great to actually be there. The following morning we spent the first hour writing ELSON #28 on the sides, front and back of each vehicle as necessitated in the race rules with black masking tape. It looked pretty bad but did the job. 

By the end we were drenched in sweat. We then drove down to Furnace Creek the 17 mile first time station to check in. En route I jumped out and ran a 2 mile stretch. I got back in the car afterwards and the sweat was pouring off of me. I wanted to panic at how much i'd overheated in a 20 minute jog but suppressed it so that the boys didn't think to themselves 'holy shit he's just had trouble running about 1/70th of what he's supposed to do tomorrow?'. At check in the atmosphere was good. Badwater only has between 80 and 90 invited runners each year but the scale is way bigger. Each runner has on average 4-5 crew and with officials, media and staff the total pre race meeting consisted of around 400 people. We were taken through the rules, a few old stories, introduced to the organisers and each other and given a quick recap of those in the room whom had run previously and who had the most finishes. It was a long meeting but I left feeling pretty comfortable. 

(Eberhard, Frank and I at check in. Photo c/o of Ben Jones)

Our group of 6 then ate the last supper (one beer for me as forced on my by Frank saying that the only race he'd ever not had a drink before was his DNF at Leadville the first time) and bought about 20 bags of ice for the start in the morning. The boys spent the rest of the evening preparing the cars which is a massive job in order to have everything on hand for when we would need it: Ice, Water, Food, Electrolytes, Hats, Lights etc etc etc . The time was upon us….
We got up on race morning at 6am. Id slept well and I felt ready to go. We tidied up the last few bits of gear and got down to Furnace Creek where the boys ate something before we headed on 17 miles back further down the road to the start at Badwater itself. I had been assigned a slot in the 10am wave so the 6am starters and 8am starters were already on the road. It was great to see people heading back towards us from the opposite direction with their crews and vehicles all rolling with them and making sure they had what they needed. I recognised lots of faces and names on the cars, in particular James Adams whom I hadn’t managed to catch up with pre race. He had already reached mile 8 ish and was only a bit over an hour in.
The Sea level Sign
When we got the start the other runners looked like they were there to race. The 10am wave contained all of the fast runners, previous winners: Jorge Pacheco, Marco Farinazzo, Jamie Donaldson, Pam Reed. All in all I was way out of my depth. We had photos at the Badwater sign and moved across to the startline. I was the last one to join it and stood directly behind Jamie who’s crew kept jumping in to spray her down and make sure she started in 100% peak condition. 
As we stood on the startline I thought about what was ahead and I wasn’t daunted. Id trained, I had a pace strategy, I trusted my own ability to get through the race in a reasonable time and more than anything I knew I had the grit and determination not to quit for any reason aside medical ones I may lose control of leading to potential long term damage in which case that call would be out of my hands. Chris Kostman the race director introduced Casey Dukus who stood by our startling and sung the national anthem beautifully. Even the boys afterwards admitted their hairs stood up on the backs of their necks (apart from Rich who thought it sucked). Stood there in that unholy place in that incredible heat in silence with such a monumental task ahead with that rendition of in my opinion the most uplifiting national anthem was awesome.

Chris counted down from 10 to 1 and off we went. I'd set up a strategy with the guys that they would see me at the 1.5 mile point and then every 1 mile from there, giving us an opportunity to avoid the early pile up of crews on the roadside who would stop each 1 mile from the start. My starting gear went like this: Yellow headsweats cap so that the boys could pick me out, white cotton head and neck scarf which we called the 'wizard hat' drenched in ice cold water, ice necklace which Frank invented the night before and would keep my carotid artery cool, white moeben armsleeves, race shorts, long white compressions socks, my usual 8.5 road trainers, 2 watches, my St Georges Cross and a water bottle. My pacing strategy was to aim for 30 hours. The first section from Badwater to Stovepipe Wells would be an 8.5 hour run for the 42 miles. 
At each mile mark the boys took off my wizard hat and replaced it, handed me a new water bottle with enduralytes in and sprayed me down with water from a garden store plant sprayer. Then every 3rd mile they would replace the ice necklace with a new one. To start with we were a mess and that was purely because we hadn't practised but the boys quickly got it down so that from mile 5 onwards we looked like a nascar pit stop. The first few miles I was running in a group of 5 with Connie Gardner, Jamie Donaldson, Jimmy Dean Freeman and Michelle Barton. We all overtook each other when one of us slowed for the crew and then proceeded on. We were running roughly 10 minute miles which was a little quick but nothing too bad and i certainly didn't pull anything quicker than a 9:45 during the entire race. When the crew came up bang on went the headscarf and the ice necklace over the top. Eberhard got a little excited in the early stages and kept pulling the wizard hat all the way down around my neck but we ironed that little problem out and the team were unreal. Plenty of checking to see how I was doing, some minor heckling as they went back past in the car to the next mile point but just the right amount. After around 7 or 8 miles the race started to spread out a little. I guess I ran most of that first section around 15th - 20th out of the 8am wave of 25 runners and certainly didn't feel like I was overcooking it, but I did run all of it even the smaller uphills. At mile 17 we hit Furnace Creek Aid Station/ Time Point Number 1. I reached that marker in 2 hours 57 minutes. 

Early on around Mile 6. Photo c/o Chris Kostman